Phase 2 Semiahmoo Development – Proposed Contemporary Art Space
· The art space will provide a venue dedicated to a diverse range of contemporary art practice, performance, and exhibitions. Programming will be local, regional, national, and international in scope. The space may include a small library/resource centre, media lab, and screening capabilities.
· A social enterprise café, adjoining the gallery space, will help to finance the art programming.
· The café and gallery will be a comfortable and inviting meeting-place for people to gather around art as a means for exploration, experimentation, and connection with the world.
· The proposed space will address an identified cultural void, as presently this kind of programming does not exist in South Surrey. (In Surrey, this is only available at the Surrey Art Gallery, which is often not accessed by those on the Semiahmoo Peninsula.)
· It is envisioned to be an artist-run space, with governance by a board of directors, with consultation from an advisory board of experts in the field of contemporary art.